In order to understand the same, we first need to acknowledge the fact that the garment supply chain comprises of five major stages, which are
- Fiber Production
- Cursory life-span of textiles, especially in case of clothing and apparel, which results in redundancy thus giving way to overstocking and markdowns in pricing.
- Higher lead time based on forecasts which usually doesn’t match up with the ever changing customer behavior.
- Little or no access to real time information sharing between the provider or manufacturer and the retailer.
- Lack in trust with respect to partnerships and collaboration in terms of profit earning as well as risk sharing.
- Unorganized logical infrastructure
In fact, it is almost safe to state, that an efficient supply chain management can and will, eventually lead to increased profitability and reduced waste, given that innovative channels such as the online medium have now come into play.